Applications for class honoraries are live and are due January 22, 2018!
Which Honorary is for me?
The Association of Ohio State Class Honoraries unites the class honoraries at The Ohio State University and oversees and coordinates various activities, such as the honorary application process. AOSCH has seven member organizations. We strongly encourage you to research the differences between honoraries at their websites to decide which one to apply for! Sometimes the designation of sophomore, junior, and senior honoraries can be confusing. Here is a brief overview of the honorary system structure and some guidelines for choosing an honorary to which to apply.
Mirrors and Romophos – These are the two sophomore class honoraries. To gain membership, you must apply in early spring semester of your freshman year. If selected, you will be inducted in the spring of your first year and continue your membership during your entire sophomore year.
Bucket & Dipper and Chimes – These are the two junior class honoraries. To gain membership, you must apply in early spring semester of your second year. If selected, you will be inducted in the spring of your second year and continue your membership during your entire junior year.
Mortar Board and Sphinx – These are the two senior class honoraries. To gain membership, you must apply in early spring semester of your junior year. If selected, you will be inducted in the spring of your third-year and continue your membership during your entire senior year.
Some special considerations:
- Freshmen receive invitations to the freshman honorary ALD/PES based on GPA. Selection is solely by invitation, and inductees will receive letters in mid-February.
- Transfer students are welcome to apply to an honorary provided that they meet the credit hour and year requirements.
- Students with advanced class rank: Many students enter college with AP and post-secondary credit and thus have “sophomore standing” at the end of their first year. The honorary system generally follows the year in school, not the class rank, of the applicant. Applicants with a sufficient number of credit hours are permitted to apply to an honorary based on class rank; however, it is strongly recommended that (especially if not planning to graduate in 3 years) applicants apply to an honorary according to their year in school. Please note, however, that you may only apply to one honorary. You may not apply to one sophomore and one junior honorary.
- Students taking a fifth year are permitted to apply to a senior honorary in the winter of their fourth year. Please contact Mortar Board and Sphinx representatives with specific questions.
- If you are unsure to which group you should apply, please contact representatives from the specific honorary.